Attracting and retaining top talent; individuals that drive for success and in turn impact the success of your organization will continue to be a priority. There is much written about the “Top Skills of Successful Leaders” and there is much truth in the need for those skills identified. However, before we can attract and retain, we need clarity about the competencies, those skills, knowledge, abilities and behaviors that indicate top talent for our organization in particular. Understanding the ones that are unique and most effective to creating success in your organization is of critical importance. These are Your Leadership’s Superpowers!
How will the identification of Your Leadership’s Superpowers benefit both the organization and it’s individual leaders?
FOR THE ORGANIZATION
- Sets an expectation of performance.
- Provides a common language for hiring, training, assessing, developing and promoting talent.
- Provides a roadmap for improvement and development.
- Creates greater consistency in evaluation and accountability.
- Aligns people practices with culture, values and business goals.
FOR INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
- I know what is expected of me.
- I hear a consistent message.
- I know what I need to do to improve my performance and advance my career.
- I will be evaluated consistent with my peers.
- I know my role contributes to the success of the company.
Looking internally and involving leadership incumbents is the most effective way to identify Your Leadership’s Superpowers. Through the use of interviews, focus groups, workshops and surveys gather answers to the following questions:
- What are the most important aspects of the job?
- What does it take to be successful in the job?
- What characteristics distinguish excellent from average performers?
- Why have people failed?
- How does this look different at different levels of leadership (i.e. Manager, Director, VP, Executive)?
You will capture a great deal of information about what it takes to be successful in your organization. Through careful analysis and assimilation, Your Leadership’s Superpowers will emerge. These are your secret weapon in attracting and retaining your most effective Top Talent.